Company X’s process for making single-finger keyboards consists of five operations, each performed at a different work center. Work flows through the work centers in sequence in a production line that is dedicated exclusively to making this product. Data on these operations are below. Demand is 14,000 per day. Each unit has a cost of $9.00 and a selling price of $10.00. There is sufficient labor to operate all equipment to capacity.
Operations and Supply Chain Management for the 21st Century 39
Work Center/Operation Equipment
Capacity A 12,000 per day
Capacity B 13,000 per day
Capacity C 10,500 per day
Capacity D 12,000 per day
Capacity E 14,000 per day
Answer the following questions using Chapter 4
1. In this system, what is the bottleneck?
2. Assume the system begins every day with appropriate amounts of WIP in each work center’s queue. What is the most output we could expect from the system in a day?
3. What level of equipment utilization should the company strive for at work center 3?
4. Your boss believes that all equipment should be kept busy all the time in order to keep unit costs low. What happens if work centers 1 and 2 are operated at 100 percent utilization? In particular, what is the effect on system output? What is the effect on WIP? What should utilization be at work center 2?
5. An employee team has an idea for a process improvement that will reduce breakdowns at work center 4. This will raise the effective capacity at this work center to 13,500 units per day. The cost of making this improvement is $10,000. Another team has an idea for a process improvement that will reduce breakdowns at work center 3. This will raise the effective capacity at this work center to 11,000 units per day. The cost of making this improvement is $20,000. Which teams idea is better? Explain your answer.
Operations and Supply Chain Management for the 21st Century,
1st Edition – Ken Boyer; Rohit Verma
ISBN-10: 0-618-74933-0 (Cengage Textbook)
Since all our papers are written from scratch, the papers we submit are plagiarism free and we strictly adhere to lecturer’s instructions. Our writers are highly qualified from all over the world and include graduates and professors from most of the largest and known universities in the world. Once you have assigned us your assignment, we select the most qualified and reliable writer to handle your assignment.
Unlike other writing companies, we encourage clients to draw back their money at any stage of the writing process if they experience any uncertainties with the quality of generated content. However, you will hardly have to make this decision because of our business approach that suits your needs.
We have an advanced plagiarism-detection system that flags any work that fails to meet the required academic expectations. Our company thrives in honesty, and as such, you will be guaranteed to achieve a paper that meets your expectations.
At homeworkpaper.org we have online agents that you can chat with to have your assignment taken care of with the little remaining time. Also, we have professional academic writers who will work on your assignment providing you with a high-quality paper at the same time. We can take care of your urgent assignments in less than 5 hours.
We uphold confidentiality and privacy through our interactions with clients, an aspect that has enhanced our relationship with prospective customers seeking for assignment help. We do not disclose your information with third-parties; neither do we share your work with any other person apart from you.
We do not resell previously-done tasks delivered to other clients. When we deliver orders to our clients, we safeguard their privacy and confidentiality by ensuring the third party does not access the work. By writing the papers from scratch, we have managed to maintain a certain level of originality, which defines our business model. Our qualified editors proofread all submitted work to eliminate mistakes that can interfere with the credibility of the assignment.